Software Developer Information and Specifications
Specifications are provided for developers of software for electronically filing tax returns. This information is for:
- Commercial software vendors to create software for approval by the Department.
- Companies to develop in-house software applications for direct electronic filing of their tax returns.
- Corporate income tax 2018 specifications are now available.
- Sales and use tax, solid waste surcharge, and E911 fee 2019 specifications are now available.
- Effective January 1, 2019, the state sales tax rate on the lease or rental of commercial real property will decrease from 5.8% to
5.7%. (Local option discretionary sales surtax continues to apply.) Specifications are provided below.
- The Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) acknowledgment process used for filing motor fuel tax terminal supplier and operator returns has been modified.
When more than one terminal supplier or operator report is included in a single file submission, the system will generate a unique manifest, PDF file, and
confirmation number for each return.
- The Department has discontinued use of the reemployment legacy schema along with the 8-digit software IDs. Submissions using the legacy schema and
8-digit software IDs will be rejected. For current specifications, see the Reemployment Tax section below.
- Reemployment tax corrected reports (RT-8A) can now be uploaded using SecureNet.
All software developers must complete a Software Development Application
For information about developing filing software, contact the Business Technology Office at
email@example.com. If you are an authorized vendor, please include your software ID.
Communications Services Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Insurance Premium Tax
Motor Fuel Tax
- Motor and Other Fuel Taxes EDI Technical Implementation Guide
(Form DR-309650 ) - Includes requirements for creating return files, user instructions and procedures for filing
both a test and a production return.
Test scripts are for taxpayers who have only filed zero returns or reports and software developers who would like to test their system. Details may be found in the
Exceptions code lists are for use in conjunction with submission manifests.
- Reemployment Tax Data Exchange (Password protected ZIP archive) - Data
exchange formats for providers with memorandum of understanding (MOU) agreements.
Effective May 1, 2018, the Department discontinued use of the reemployment legacy schema along with the 8-digit Software IDs. Any files submitted after that date
must be submitted using the new 10-character Software ID. If you need a new 10-character Software ID, submit the Software Development
Application (Form DR-600001
). If you have already submitted an application but have not yet received your new Software ID, or
if you have additional questions, contact the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sales and Use Tax, Solid Waste Surcharge and/or E911 Fee