Software Developer Information and Specifications
Specifications are provided for developers of software for electronically filing tax returns. This information is for:
- Commercial software vendors to create software for approval by the Department.
- Companies to develop in-house software applications for direct electronic filing of their tax returns.
- The Department is migrating its file and pay application for terminal suppliers and operators from Electronic Data Interchange
(EDI) to Extensible Markup Language (XML). Beginning January 2, 2019, software providers and in-house developers are invited to begin
building and testing an output file using the new filing format. Starting July 1, 2019, terminal suppliers and operators should begin
testing the new output file for accuracy and mapping verification. The migration from EDI to XML should be completed no later than
December 31, 2019. Beginning March 1, 2020, the Department will no longer accept returns submitted using an EDI format. Instructions
for filing your terminal supplier or operator report using an XML format are now available, see the Motor Fuel Tax section below.
- Corporate income tax 2018 specifications are now available.
- Sales and use tax, solid waste surcharge, and E911 fee 2019 specifications are now available.
- Effective January 1, 2019, the state sales tax rate on the lease or rental of commercial real property will decrease from 5.8% to
5.7%. (Local option discretionary sales surtax continues to apply.) Specifications are provided below.
- The Department has discontinued use of the reemployment legacy schema along with the 8-digit software IDs. Submissions using the legacy schema and
8-digit software IDs will be rejected. For current specifications, see the Reemployment Tax section below.
- Reemployment tax corrected reports (RT-8A) can now be uploaded using SecureNet.
All software developers must complete a Software Development Application
For information about developing filing software, contact the Business Technology Office at
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an authorized vendor, please include your software ID.
Communications Services Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Insurance Premium Tax
Motor Fuel Tax
- Reemployment Tax Data Exchange (Password protected ZIP archive) - Data
exchange formats for providers with memorandum of understanding (MOU) agreements.
Effective May 1, 2018, the Department discontinued use of the reemployment legacy schema along with the 8-digit Software IDs. Any files submitted after that date
must be submitted using the new 10-character Software ID. If you need a new 10-character Software ID, submit the Software Development
Application (Form DR-600001
). If you have already submitted an application but have not yet received your new Software ID, or
if you have additional questions, contact the Department at email@example.com.
Sales and Use Tax, Solid Waste Surcharge and/or E911 Fee