Can I keep my homestead exemption if I move?

You cannot transfer your homestead exemption when you move from a previous Florida homestead to a new Florida homestead. However, you may be able to transfer all or part of your homestead assessment difference. Homestead assessment difference transfer (“portability”) allows eligible Florida homestead owners to transfer their Save Our Homes (SOH) assessment limitation from their old homestead to a new homestead, lowering the assessed value for the new homestead. You must file the Transfer of Homestead Assessment Difference Form DR-501T  with the homestead application Form DR-501  for your new home. The due date to file these forms with your county property appraiser’s office is March 1 of the first year after you have moved. For more information, please read the Save Our Homes Assessment Limitation and Portability Transfer brochure
Category: Property Tax
Sub-Category: Homestead Exemption
How helpful was this answer?