Skip menu navigation
Home » Property Tax

How Do I?

Click on the questions linked below to find out how to qualify for an exemption, appeal property values, and much more!


How Do I...

  • Request Assessment Roll Data?

    Visit our Request Assessment Roll Data page to learn more about public records and how to obtain assessment roll data.

  • Apply for Portability (the Transfer) of My Homestead Exemption?

    Each applicant must submit an application form, DR-501T, to the property appraiser of the county where the new home is located. You will need to include information about your new home and:

    • The date the previous homestead was sold or no longer used as a homestead
    • The address and parcel identification number of the previous homestead
    • A list of all other owners on the tax roll and a statement that none of the previous owners remained in the homestead and continued to receive a homestead exemption
    • A sworn statement attesting to your entitlement to the assessment difference transfer

  • Take Advantage of the Additional $25,000 Homestead Exemption?

    If you already have a homestead exemption on your property, you don’t have to do anything. The property appraiser will automatically apply the exemption to your assessed value.

  • Receive the $25,000 Tangible Personal Property Exemption?

    Owners of tangible personal property must file a return the first year, as always. The first $25,000 in assessed value is exempt from taxes and the property appraiser will apply the exemption to your assessed value. If the assessed value of the property is $25,000 or less, you do not have to file a return in future years until that value exceeds $25,000. There are penalties involved if the value exceeds $25,000 and you do not file.

  • Take Advantage of the 10% Assessment Increase Limitation on Non-Homestead Property?

    You don’t need to do anything to receive this assessment increase limitation. The property appraiser will assess your property every year as of January 1 and apply the 10% assessment increase limitation to eligible non-homestead property that did not change ownership or control in the previous calendar year.

    If a non-homestead property changes ownership or control and a deed is not recorded with the county clerk of court, the new owner must file a Form DR-430, Change of Ownership or Control, with the county property appraiser within 60 days of the change. When a non-homestead property changes ownership or control, the current 10% assessment increase limit is removed and the property is assessed at just value. A new 10% assessment increase limitation begins January 1, the year after the change.

  • Pay My Property Taxes?

    Send your property tax payment to your county tax collector and follow the directions on your tax bill. There are additional payment options that may be available to you. For more information, click here and select "Payment Options" or contact your county tax collector.

  • Find an Exemption?

    There are several property tax exemptions in Florida for real property. There is a $25,000 exemption on tangible personal property. These exemptions usually require filing an application and providing documentation to the property appraiser of the county where your property is located. Read more on specific exemptions.

  • Calculate the "Save Our Homes" Cap and Other Limitation Rates?

    Florida calculations for limits on assessment increases and income qualifications for some exemptions are based on the change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI). See the Income and Assessment Limits for information on the Save Our Homes assessment cap, and income limits to qualify for total disability, local option for seniors, and homes for the aged exemptions and tax deferral.

  • Find Out How My Tax Rates Are Set?

    Taxing authorities such as cities, counties, and special districts are authorized by Florida Statutes to levy taxes on real and tangible personal property to fund their operations and services. Taxing authorities propose a budget, advertise and hold public hearings, and consider public input before setting a final budget. This is commonly called the Truth in Millage or TRIM process. Their final budget is then divided by the tax base to establish a millage rate.

    There are some statewide limits on how much a millage rate can increase relative to the roll-back rate. A roll-back rate is the rate at which the current tax base would produce the same taxes levied as the previous year. When a tax base increases, maintaining the same millage rate represents an increase in taxes. Millage rates are typically different for every taxing authority, depending on the budget of each. Read more on the Truth In Millage (TRIM) process.

  • Read My Notice of Proposed Taxes?

    In August, your property appraiser sends each property owner in the county a Notice of Proposed Property Taxes, also called a TRIM (Truth In Millage) notice. This is not a tax bill. The TRIM notice provides information about what the taxing authorities in your area are proposing for the next tax year. See How Do I ... Read My Notice of Proposed Taxes?.

  • Find Answers to Other Questions?
    • If you have questions about values, exemptions or classifications, contact your property appraiser.
    • If you have questions about your tax bill or unpaid taxes, contact your tax collector.