Skip menu navigation
Home » News Releases

November 22, 2010

Florist Arrested for Theft of State Funds

John C. Dyn, 45, owner of J. Dyn Investments, Inc., doing business as both NBlooms and KaBloom, with locations in Tampa and St. Petersburg, was arrested on charges that he stole more than $73,000 in state funds he collected in sales tax from customers, but failed to send in to the state, the Florida Department of Revenue announced.

Mr. Dyn, who also lives in Tampa, was arrested by the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Department on November 22, 2010 on felony and misdemeanor charges relating to theft of state funds, failing to file six consecutive sales tax returns, and refusing to file returns and pay tax. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines, as well as possible repayment of stolen tax, interest, and investigative costs. The shop is currently located at 711 South Howard Avenue in Tampa.

According to Revenue Department investigators, Mr. Dyn collected tax from customers at his business. However, during various periods beginning in 2007 and lasting through periods in 2010, he failed to send into the state all of the sales taxes that he had collected and failed to file taxes according to Florida law. Under state law, sales tax is the property of the state at the moment of collection.

"Most Florida businesses do an excellent job of meeting the state's requirements for collecting and submitting sales tax, which pays for services Floridians need," said Lisa Vickers, Executive Director, Florida Department of Revenue. "Individuals who collect tax but don't send it in are stealing taxpayer dollars and gaining an unfair financial advantage over honest businesses. It's our job to ensure that Florida's tax laws are administered fairly."

If you have information about tax crimes, please call the Florida Department of Revenue Investigations office in Tampa at 813-744-6506.

Note: Due to the confidential nature of taxpayer records, generally the information found in this release is the only information available from the Department of Revenue concerning this matter. Other information may be available through the arresting agency and the local Clerk of Court.