Skip menu navigation
Home » News Releases

September 3, 2003

Florida Taxpayers Should Act Soon if They Wish to Appeal Assessment of Property

TALLAHASSEE - Owners of property subject to Florida property tax have a limited time left to petition for a change in the assessment of their property for tax purposes. The Florida Department of Revenue urges taxpayers who wish to appeal their tax assessment to review their Truth In Millage (TRIM) property tax notice mailed to them by their property appraiser to find the exact deadline.

The deadline is listed on the bottom of the front of the TRIM notice, mailed to taxpayers by their county property appraiser in August.

Under Florida law, property owners have 25 days from the mailing date of their TRIM notice to file to petition the county's Value Adjustment Board for a change in their property's proposed assessment. Because mailing dates for TRIM notices vary around the state, the effective deadlines will vary from county to county. Most TRIM notices were mailed starting in mid-August, so most taxpayers will be required to file a petition in early to mid-September for a hearing before their county's Value Adjustment Board. Taxpayers in Baker, Flagler, Dixie, and Martin Counties will have longer to file a petition because their counties have received extensions during the property-tax roll approval process. About 71,000 petitions were filed in 2002.

To file a petition, taxpayers should request a copy of the appropriate form from their property appraiser's office, complete the form, and send it to the Clerk of Court in their county. The Value Adjustment Board will schedule a hearing to consider the taxpayer's objection. The Value Adjustment Board is composed of two members of that county's school board and three members of the county commission. Taxpayers may also informally object to their proposed assessment by asking for an informal meeting with the property appraiser or his or her staff. For more information about how to contact Florida's 67 property appraisers, please point your web browser to or call the local property appraiser's office listed in the Blue Pages (Government Listings) of your local telephone directory.